DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attacks can knock organisations off their feet. These cyberattacks have been causing disruption across the online world, and as the internet is a global network, UK organisations cannot escape.
Imagine your website suddenly crashes, and your online services become inaccessible. This could be the result of a DDoS attack. As this threat vector continues to be commonplace, we cover how you can protect your organisation effectively and highlight which sectors should be extra vigilant.
The DDoS Threat Vector
So, what is this form of attack? It’s like a virtual flood of internet traffic that overloads your online applications and services. Typically, a network of compromised internet connected devices, known as a Botnet, initiates this targeted attack to overwhelm your systems and render them incapable of handling legitimate traffic. This results in service disruption, loss of revenue and reputational damage.
Key Sectors at Risk
DDoS attacks can affect all sectors, but some sectors in the UK are particularly at risk given their area of business, such as those below.
1. Retail and E-commerce: Resulting from changing customer behaviours, retailers are increasingly reliant on their online presence to increase revenues through frictionless and contactless channels. Attackers aim to leverage this reliance and disrupt digital sales channels to damage and extort retail organisations, or potentially to steal sensitive customer data.
2. Banking, Financial Services and Insurance: Financial institutions, such as banks, payment gateways and insurers are a key target for cybercriminals. DDoS attacks can disrupt critical online services and therefore financial transactions, customer access, and critically trust in the financial organisation. They can also be lucrative targets for attackers if DDoS is used as a distraction while attempts are made to gain access to financial accounts.
3. Gaming and Entertainment: Modern gaming and entertainment organisations rely heavily on their online presence to engage with customers and generate revenues, these customers expect uninterrupted access and a seamless user experience. DDoS attacks can disrupt gaming sessions, streaming platforms, and online events, which leaves customers frustrated and looking for competitors that can provide a better experience.
4. Health and Social Care: Health and social care organisations, particularly those operating hospitals, clinics and care homes, hold sensitive patient data that is highly valuable to cybercriminals. DDoS attacks can disrupt critical services, such as remote access, patient records access, and appointment scheduling. This negatively affects the patient experience, consultant experience and damages trust in your organisation.
DDOS PROTECTION AS A
DDoS Protection stops attackers in their tracks. Our automated, always-on and scalable DDoS mitigation service identifies and discards malicious traffic, while legitimate traffic is forwarded as normal.
We deliver this in a simple and transparent offering for a fixed monthly fee – a service with no surprises, fully managed by our team of experts.
HOW CAN WE HELP
WHY DDOS PROTECTION IS CRITICAL
Now we understand which sectors are most at risk, let’s explore some of the benefits of implementing a DDoS protection service.
1. Resilience: These attacks can disrupt your organisation, resulting in financial losses and reputational damage. Robust DDoS protection ensures the threat is mitigated, keeping your services accessible and improving your organisation’s resilience.
2. Maintaining Trust: Customers expect reliability and security when interacting with your online presence. If your digital services are disrupted by DDoS attacks, it will erode customer trust and risk them evaluating your competitors.
3. Reputational Protection: Building a brand reputation can take years, while it can be dismantled in moments. Investing to mitigate cyber security threats demonstrates a dedication to protecting customer data, which preserves brand reputation.
4. Avoiding Financial Losses: DDoS attacks can result in financial losses due to downtime, lost sales (both during and post-attack), and the cost of recovery. It is well recognised that early infrastructure investment is more cost effective than remedial works.
MITIGATE THE THREAT OF DDOS ATTACKS
In today’s digital landscape, DDoS attacks pose a significant threat to organisations across the UK and worldwide. They can cause significant financial losses and brand damage. By implementing a DDoS protection service you can mitigate this threat and improve your resilience. Node4 is an expert Managed Security Service Provider (MSSP) that delivers robust DDoS protection and other cyber security services, speak to us today if you could benefit from improved threat protection and resilience.